Haute couture, the term is originally French word, meaning high or elegant sewing. It is a design that is manufactured as per single client’s need and requirements. In other words it may be called as custom made designs.
Abaya in Haute Couture means a high fashion gown or may be a caftan. It is a form of religious Islamic clothing worn by Muslim women. It is found mostly in Muslim countries. They are made for higher classes and are exclusively designer wear.
What is a couture abaya?
A form of Islamic clothing, an abaya is a dress to cover a woman’s body completely. It is not complete without a hijab that covers their heads. This dress is worn so that women do not attract male attention in the wrong manner.
Let us try and understand the term better:
- It is not mass produced.
- The market for couture abaya is very limited.
- It takes about 100 – 400 hours to create one piece.
- They are very expensive to buy
- It is bought from a designer directly or from a specialty boutique.
- A hijab is also designed to match with the abaya
- These abayas can be seen in real life only through an appointment
- Fashion show is the only curtain raiser for their designs
- Fashion magazines and blogs are the places where a common person can view them.
A couture abaya does not fit into everybody’s pocket. You have to be a person with craze for fashion and very high disposable income.